Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Mike Francis - Publisher of the Gooner.



Match day at the Arsenal.  Essential purchases, a good skinful of beer, a foot long hotdog, a match programme and a copy of the Gooner!  Deliciously irreverent, the Gooner is the complete antithesis to the “official party line”.  Its writers fearlessly tell it like it is, a counterpoint to the propagandist jingoism of the match day programme.  Tactics, critique and biting satire, you will get it all in the Gooner.

I am incredibly honoured to have as my next guest the publisher of the Gooner, Mike Francis, to tell us what makes him a Gooner.  Enjoy.

Why Arsenal?

Good question as it’s not one I’ve ever been able to satisfactorily answer if truth be known. It wasn’t a family connection as although my Dad was a football fan, he didn’t really follow any one side going to watch Fulham, Portsmouth and Plymouth at different times. I was brought up in Harrow and always figured that Arsenal were probably the nearest first division side, but a few years ago I checked on Google Maps and discovered that Loftus Road was actually closer, although I also found out that Highbury was the nearest ground to my birthplace in central London. Given that I started supporting the team circa 1975, I don’t think I can be classed as a glory hunter given that we were almost relegated that season, so I guess it was just that liked the name and the look of the shirts. The fact my best mate at school was an Arsenal fan probably also had something to do with it, but whatever the reason, it was a damn good choice.

Earliest Arsenal memory?

Apart from my first game which I’ll mention in a minute, I remember playing Subbuteo with my best mate and, as it was his set, he insisted on being Arsenal, so I had to be QPR, which were the only other team he had. I know I lost 1-0 to a disputed penalty conceded by Gerry Francis and I also knelt on the Arsenal right back, Pat Rice. Sorry Pat.

First game?

My first game was against Leeds United in January 1977 which we drew 1-1. We stood on the top corner of the North Bank nearest the West Stand and I can still vaguely recall being sat on one of the crush barriers by my Dad to get a better view, but I couldn’t have told you that Malcolm MacDonald scored the first ever Arsenal goal I witnessed if it wasn’t for history books.
I returned to Highbury a few weeks later for a birthday treat with some school mates to see us play at home to Sunderland. We sat in the front row of the East Lower and watched a 0-0 draw. None of us cared. It was the most exciting thing any of us had ever done.

Favourite player (all time)?

That’s not an easy question to answer. I suspect most people when asked tend to go for the best player they have seen and if that were the case then Dennis Bergkamp would get my vote as he was a class apart and was the first player I saw at Arsenal who had a worldwide reputation. However, despite providing so many glorious moments and being nothing less than a fantastic ambassador for the club, I don’t think I can regard him as my favourite. Instead, that honour has to go to Charlie Nicholas, as he was the first player I remember us signing who I was truly excited about. He obviously had his struggles, but you could see he also had shed loads of ability and whenever he got the ball, there was always a sense of anticipation around the ground. It also didn’t seem to matter how bad he’d been playing, whenever we came up against Spurs, he always seemed to score which never did his popularity any harm!

Favourite player (current)?

I don’t know whether it’s because I’m older and more cynical, but I don’t think I’ve classed a player as being “my favourite” for a good few years. With the ever increasing wages, it’s become harder and harder to identify with any of them, and there is very little connection between the players and the fans now which is one of the saddest elements of the modern game. Of the current bunch, I like the attitude of Szczesny; he seems to be able to relate to the fans better than most and comes across as a “normal” kind of guy.

Highest point?

Anfield, May 26th 1989. No question and I’m really not sure it can ever be beaten. It had been 18 years since we were last champions of England and we’d never even come close to the title in my Arsenal supporting life until the 1988-89 season, so to have been so close and failed would have been devastating. Therefore, to be so close and succeed with that last minute Mickey Thomas goal was simply amazing. Did I believe we could do it? Undoubtedly. I hadn’t missed a game home or away that season and therefore knew what the players were capable of doing and that side had spirit in abundance. The thought of that game sends shivers down my spine every time.

Lowest point?

Oh crikey. There’s been a few. I remember crying when we lost to Ipswich in the 78 Cup Final – I was 9 at the time and living in East Anglia so had to endure the taunts of Ipswich supporting schoolmates. However, I think the lowest point was not a game at all. It was the death of David Rocastle. I was fortunate enough to meet him a couple of times and he was an incredibly genuine person for whom nothing was too much trouble. The story of how he cried when George Graham told him the club had accepted an offer for him might have raised eyebrows in disbelief if it had been anyone else, but with Rocky you just knew his heart must have been breaking. Arsenal fans will never forget him and that’s exactly the way it should be.

Sign any 3 players?

Messi would be nice, but I guess that’s probably a bit unrealistic. We obviously need a striker (probably two) and if the rumours about Podolski are true, I’ll be quite happy as he’s a player who works hard and has caught the eye for Germany in more than one major tournament. A dependable and experienced back-up keeper to provide some competition and cover for Szczesny, and a world class midfielder would be the other positions I’d like to see filled. However, I’m struggling to come up with any names from players already at Premier League clubs and I certainly don’t have an extensive enough knowledge of players currently plying their trade abroad to be able to pick out two names who would fit the bill. Let’s just hope the business is concluded early this year!

Sack any 3 players?

Can I “release” players rather than “sack” them? I know it amounts to the same thing, but sacking them seems a bit harsh! My first two choices would be players who should have been released/sold last summer, but for whatever reasons (and I think we all know what they are) Manual Almunia and Denilson are still Arsenal players. Almunia should never have been considered good enough to be Arsenal’s first choice goalkeeper and the fact he was for so long, reflects very poorly on Arsene I’m afraid. For my third player, I’m going to have to say Diaby because people who know me will wonder why if I don’t since I’ve been moaning about him for years. I feel terribly sorry for the guy as he clearly has the ability, but it seems his career is never going to recover from that shocking tackle at Sunderland. Maybe a fresh start elsewhere would do him good and I’d be delighted if it did, but I just think that we can make better use of his £3m per annum wages.

Highbury or the Emirates?

The Grove (sorry – the club may be getting paid to call it after an airline, but I’m not!) is a magnificent stadium and we had to move to a new ground to stand a chance of competing with the giants of the European game. It’s been unfortunate that since we made up our minds to move, two clubs have been taken over by billionaires making our task ever more difficult. However, in my idealistic world, where football is not business, I’d have stayed at Highbury forever. It was majestic and oozed class. Maybe I’ll feel differently when we’ve had some special memories at the new place, but somehow I don’t think I will.

So don’t forget, buy the Gooner next time you’re at a game, or get a subscription here or, if you like, the brilliant Gooner app.  Follow them on twitter @goonerfanzine.

No comments:

Post a Comment