Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 9, 2012

Déborah Rosinelle Ferreira





If there’s one term that annoys me intensely, it’s “Goonerette”.  You are either an Arsenal fan or you aren’t, simple as, gender has sod all to do with it.  Equally offensive is to think that all Brazilians are born with an innate knowledge of the beautiful game, I wouldn’t dream of walking into a bar in Rio and attempting to engage a complete stranger in a conversation about the false 9 or the pragmatism of Cattenaccio!  Deborah however, is the exception that proves the rule.  Yes she is from Brazil, and boy does she know her football.  Whether it be Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga or Erevidisie she’s forgotten more about football than most of us, tunnel vision fans, would claim to know.  And best of all, she’s a Gooner!!


Why Arsenal?


I suppose everyone has a starting point.  Some people are lucky enough to have been an Arsenal fan for as long as they can remember, while my bond started not so long ago.  I had been an Arshavin fan since I was impressed by him playing for Zenit during their 2008 Europa League campaign.  When Arsenal signed him, I decided I should follow the Premier League closer, and what was the best way than supporting the team he played for? After that initial contact, when I started learning more about Arsenal, the history and what the club meant, I could only fall in love with it all.  Like I said, everyone has a starting point...


Earliest Arsenal memory?


Ah... does it count being upset when Arsenal signed Gilberto Silva from my childhood club? (I’m over it now, no worries).  First Arsenal match I watched knowing it would be the club I’d support was a 0-0 draw against Tottenham on February 2009.  I remember being impressed with how 10-men Arsenal defended in the 2nd half.


First game?


Well being from Brazil, it’s not that simple to cross the ocean to attend a match.  My first game was this season, when we played away against Swansea.  Not the best debut in terms of result, but I really had a great time enjoying the atmosphere and meeting so many passionate Gooners I had only known via Twitter.


Favourite player (all time)?


I’ll go with Thierry Henry, because of everything he represents and because, having missed him in his prime at Arsenal, I got to see him playing again for us during his loan spell.  It was incredible and it meant a lot to me.


Favourite player (current)?


Laurent Koscielny, the Boss!  Unbelievable how much he’s improved and owned his position.  Another one of Wenger’s master signings.



Highest point?


Being a supporter for a little over 3 years, it’s rather sad I missed so many of the high points in our history, so of the ones I’ve witnessed, I’m going to go with beating Barcelona at home because there’s nothing about that match that I didn’t love.


Lowest point?


I remember lying down in bed and crying my eyes out after we lost to Man United in the 2nd leg of the Champions league semi finals.  The Carling Cup final last season was also very depressing, especially the fact that in the same week we went out of the Champions League and the FA Cup.


Sign any 3 players?


I’d be quite happy with Podolski, if it’s a real deal.  I’ll let Wenger surprise me with the others.


Sack any 3 players?


I can’t see Almunia, Chamakh and Squillaci staying.


Highbury or the Emirates?


I’ve never had the honour of attending a match at Highbury.  Though I did trespass, inside the new modern flat complex just to take a look and try to imagine how it all was before.  So, I’m going with the Emirates because it really made me emotional when I turned a corner and saw it for the first time earlier this year.  All we need is for the trophies to come, so more and more Gooners can warm to our new stadium.

You can follow Deborah on Twitter @binhaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment