Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 6, 2012

Paul Williams



Another day, another Your Arsenal and today I’m delighted to be joined by Paul Williams.  One of my favourite Gooners on Twitter, Paul is a regular contributor to the excellent LadyArse, and also writes the brilliant music blog antstothenational,( indeed it was Paul who got me in to the band the National) and whether he’s reviewing a dodgy away trip to Stoke or a Blur gig, it’s his passion for the subject which invariably shines through.  On with the questions:


Why Arsenal?


Basically, because my granddad and uncle were bullies! Something I’m not always grateful for, but in this case... I used to spend Saturday afternoons at my Nan’s and, I’ll ‘fess up here, had an affinity for a certain west London team. Not Chelsea, by the way. Anyway, I got fed up of having the piss taken out of me every Saturday and decided if you can’t beat them- join them. Glad I did!


Earliest Arsenal memory?


My dad, who was not a football fan by the way, telling me that Arsenal didn’t have a chance of winning 2-0 at Anfield on a May day in 1989.  I forget the exact date...


First game?


It was a glorious, sunny, day in September 1991. I went with my best mate Chris and his elder brother, Joe and we beat Sheffield United 5-2. David Rocastle scored and I was dead chuffed.  


Favourite player (all time)?


To be honest, this changes quite often. My first hero was  Rocky, then Wrighty (the only reason to watch Arsenal for a while there). To choose one today, though, it has to be Patrick Vieira. Just a colossus- particularly in the first three years of the last decade. The number of trophies we won in his time here, and none since his departure, can’t be a coincidence. It took me about a fortnight to get over him leaving. Obviously, I was delighted to see Thierry back (and scoring) a couple of months ago but, for me, Patrick. 


Favourite player (current)?


Clearly, Robin’s a legend. But I love Bacary Sagna. It might be the dreadlocks, I suppose. Or the fact that he’s not Eboue. Seriously, I think the moment that clinched it for me was when Tom Huddlestone clattered the Spaniard who used to play in goal for us at WHL about 4 years ago. Thirty seconds later, Sagna battered him on the touchline, took the yellow card, got up and got on with the game; it seemed to sum up his no nonsense attitude to the game.


Highest point?


Which one do you pick? I’ve been a lucky Gooner, even in terms of individual matches in the last year or so- being at the Barcelona game last year was amazing, as was the recent Spurs game- probably my favourite match in the new stadium.  But, thinking of trophies, two doubles, Anfield 89... I don’t think there’s much that can top Patrick Vieira lifting the 2004 Premier League trophy as an unbeaten captain. Perhaps the fact that the title was secured at Spurs. I also think that achievement, as ludicrous as it sounds, probably wasn’t given enough respect at the time- it’s only as the years go by and teams try, and fail, to even get close to matching it that it has become ever more apparent just how impressive that feat was.


Lowest point?


Perhaps because I was there, but I think last year’s Carling Cup Final, the match that was supposed to end our 6 year trophy drought against the relegation fodder of Birmingham, felt like a real hammer blow. I think everything bad that came after that last year probably stemmed directly from that match. I remember us all joking in the pub how many we’d win by beforehand, but the train journey up to Wembley felt a bit like when Edward Woodward is on his way- although he doesn’t realise it yet- to meet the Wicker Man. I just sensed impending doom; we were so quiet by the time we got up there. Walking back to Wembley Park afterwards, under- as I recall it- a grey drizzle, just felt unreal. Horrible.


Sign any 3 players?


To be honest, I don’t watch a lot of football that isn’t Arsenal, so I can’t really say. Obviously Messi would be great. We’re light on quality strikers and Sergio Aguero, who scored a breathtaking goal on the counter attack at our place last year, is clearly quality. So him. Yaya Toure always feels like one who got away. I think we’re well stocked with potentially excellent midfielders, but Toure seems to be someone who would make a huge impact at Arsenal- and fill the Vieira shaped hole in my heart. Is that too much Man City love? Sorry.  


Sack any 3 players?


At half time of the Spurs match, I voiced the opinion that I hated Theo Walcott more than any other player I’d ever seen play for Arsenal, even Eboue. Of course, he turned that around, quite dramatically, in the second half, but he remains a frustrating enigma. Sacking him might be harsh though and I’m generally happy with the players in the squad now. Squillaci is an obvious candidate for a P45; I guess I’d regretfully add Vela, and his lovely little chips, to the list. And Chamakh. What has happened to him?


Highbury or the Emirates?


I actually think this is a tough one. Obviously, Highbury has a very special place in my heart- I’ll never forget my first sight of it- and it was a lovely old ground. You can still feel the weight of its history there now even in its current guise. That said, I think we’d outgrown it. The sightlines in the lower tiers of the East and West Stands were limited, to say the least and I get to go to games far more often now we have a bigger ground. However, it still feels as though Arsenal are yet to create their own history at the new stadium- it is happening, gradually, but I think Highbury, even now, is a truly special, magical, place, going there was always special. And I do miss it.


Don’t forget to follow Paul on Twitter @rockthecasbah77.


No comments:

Post a Comment