Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dave Seager



A new Your Arsenal for you all today and I’m delighted to be joined by Arsenal blogger, Dave Seager.  Dave has been writing about Arsenal for other sites since last year and recently decided to strike out on his own with the excellent 1 Nil Down 2 One Up.  The blog has quickly garnered a reputation for its intelligent and thought provoking articles, excellent player analysis and superb guest posts.  So let’s crack on with the questions:

Why Arsenal?

I moved from the Midlands to SE London when I was nearly 5.  I could be cool and say we had just done the double, but in reality it was my sister’s new boyfriend, who was a Gunner, that got me into them.

Earliest Arsenal memory?

Unusually, I would probably say it was the summer of 1976.  Two things really spring to mind, the sacking of Bertie Mee and the appointment of Terry Neill, but the really stand out memory was the announcement of Arsenal signing Malcolm Macdonald for £333,000.  Sounds pathetic now but he was the top striker at the time and England centre forward.  It was a real show of intent for the new Arsenal and this 10 year old was very excited.

First game?

I was taken by my brother and my sister’s boyfriend to Arsenal v Birmingham, Sat Nov 4th 1976.  We sat in one of the side stands but I knew then, that when I could go on my own I wanted to stand in the North Bank.  We won 4 nil but I honestly can’t remember who scored.  I was sat near 2 Blues players who were injured and got their autographs on the programme, Gary Sprake and Howard Kendall.

Favourite player (all time)?

Still Liam Brady probably and my son is named after him.  The late 70s side was the team that made me truly love Arsenal, and Brady was the oil in that machine.  The only player with his instinctiveness and touch since has been Bergkamp.

Favourite player (current)?

Easy to say RVP and I guess he is, but Sagna would run him a very close second.

Highest point?

As a fan it would have to be the Michael Thomas glory moment from 89.  I was not there but had been at most of the home games as we threw our lead away in the run up.  Everything about it was set up for the miracle, but not sure any of us truly believed we could do it.  Younger fans will not necessarily appreciate just how dominant Liverpool had been for so long, and just how rare it was to have a televised game in those days.  For a live high point it would be my first Wembley final and when we came from 1 nil down to beat Liverpool in the Littlewoods Cup in 87.  I named my website after that game, Liverpool had won every game for 6 years in which Ian Rush has scored until that day.

Lowest point?

This would easily be my second Wembley trip, the following year for the 88 Littlewoods Cup Final. 2 1 up against lesser opposition in Luton, we miss a penalty and contrive to lose by 3 goals to 2.  Sat on the terraces and cried.

Sign any 3 players?

To keep this within the realms of the possible I would settle for Podolski, Dempsey and an experienced back up keeper.  If I was going to throw in a surprise, I might suggest a sneaky bid for David Villa.  The greatest goal scorer of all time in Spain and I am convinced he will not get a look in at Barca when he returns from his broken leg.  He is 30, I think, so a cheeky low bid and a 2 year contract would be perfect.  Go on Arsene he is better than Poldo.

Sack any 3 players?

The same as everyone else I guess, but if I was to go for the less obvious, I would never have given Djourou a new contract.  I would like to see him out and he can be joined by Almunia and Squillaci.  Then if you want Verthongen, there is space or promote Miquel or Bartley.

Highbury or the Emirates?

I never get tired of walking over the concourse from the tube and seeing the Emirates.  I cried at the end of the Wigan match in 2006, but Highbury is now part of our great history and we need to start forging a new history at the new citadel.  First job is to somehow improve the atmosphere so every match is like the second half v Barca last season.

You can follow Dave on Twitter @goonerdave66, and don’t forget to give his blog a visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment