Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ray Verschoyle




Being an Arsenal fan in Ireland is not easy.  We’re an ethnic minority, surrounded on all sides by Liverpool fans full of their sense of entitlement, Man Utd fans with their arrogance and Celtic fans who link support and republicanism, and somehow if you don’t support their team you are pro-British and a traitor!  I am delighted to welcome the first Irish contributor to “Your Arsenal”, Ray Verschoyle.  Ray runs the excellent IrishGooner site, which gives a valuable insight into life as an Arsenal fan on this side of the Irish Sea.  From critical articles, opinion and player analysis, Ray tackles each with intelligence and wit, they also have a rather good forum to allow you vent if that is your thing.  Enjoy..

Why Arsenal?

When I was six I first started playing football with my Dad’s club, Home Farm FC, based in Drumcondra, Dublin, Ireland. They had a rather unique way of stimulating interest in the game of football. They were a very big club and would have had many teams at each age level, so they used to run “mini-leagues” within the club, and each team within each league was given the name of an English Division 1 club. Why not a League of Ireland club I hear you ask. Well it was positive encouragement Home Farm wanted, and let’s just say League of Ireland, then like now, was not that great. So on my first day training in Whitehall I was informed that I was to play for Arsenal. Now in honesty I cared not a jot at the time, my father on the other hand was disgusted. He was a lifelong Leeds United fan with heroes like John Giles & Billy Bremner, my Dad was a tough man and was described as a “terrier” in defence. I went home that day and rooted out all my copies of Shoot and studied my new team, on reading about them I grew to love them, after all it was the season of ‘70/’71. We won the league in White Hart Lane and we won the Cup, an auspicious start, don’t you think. Oh and I played my first competitive game of football in full Arsenal Strip!!

Earliest Arsenal memory?

It was to be my first season as an Arsenal Fan. All my friends at school followed the usual teams most kids in Ireland do, Manchester United, Liverpool and of course Celtic. I got quite a bit of stick as the lone Arsenal fan in my school. But I had the last laugh that year as Arsenal won the double, not to be a glory boy, but I did enjoy boasting about my team that year. Soon enough however, I learnt it was not always going to be that way.

First game?

Sad to say, as much as I love Ireland, living here did not give me any chance to see my club play until much later in my life. When I say much later I mean much, much, later. The first match I saw live was in The Emirates last season when Arsenal beat Birmingham 2-1. Jack Wilshere got a red card for a rather rash tackle, but we won. I had travelled to the game with my eldest son and it was his birthday. We have been to many games since thankfully, oh yeah and I have never seen Arsenal lose at a game that I have attended. Any offers for people to club together and finance me a season ticket and travel are more than welcome as I must be a lucky mascot.

Favourite player (all time)?

I’ll keep this short. It has to be Dennis Bergkamp. If you need to ask why, you probably would not understand the answer, enough said?

Favourite player (current)?

That’s a tough one. I think it has to go to yet another Dutch player. Down through the years I have always liked Dutch players. My first real hero in football terms was Johan Cryuff and there have been many since, Ruud Gulitt, the aforementioned Dennis Bergkamp and now our very own Dutch legend in the making, Robin van Persie. And yes full marks to the more observant amongst you, my surname is Dutch, maybe that’s the draw, but I think it’s more to do with “Total Football”

Highest point?

“It’s up for grabs now!” That’s it in a sentence I guess Anfield 1989. A moment in time no Arsenal fan can ever forget.

Lowest point?

17th May 2006 Barcelona score twice in 14 mins against a 10 man Arsenal to beat us in The Champions League Final. I really thought we had it, but it was not to be. This was only surpassed by 8th March 2011 when we were cheated out of a Final qualification by UEFA and their referee cohorts. But as you can’t account for cheating I’ll stick with my first choice.

Sign any 3 players?

I’m quite happy with our starting squad and some of our fringe player to be honest, but we need depth no doubt, although there is some great talent coming through. I would be wary of who we should sign as it may throttle our up and coming boys. But if pushed, Lionel Messi, Bastian Schweinsteiger & Vincent Kompany

Sack any 3 players?

Easy one, and no disrespect here. Almunia ,Chamakh and Squillaci. There are many others too.

Highbury or the Emirates?

Sad to say I’ve never been to Highbury. I’m sure it was excellent but each time I approach The Emirates I get a lump in my throat. It gives an immense feeling of pride in what the club has achieved. I regret having never got to Highbury, but that’s life I guess.

You can follow Ray on twitter @rayverschoyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment