Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tim Stillman



So it begins.  Not with a fanfare, no crash of drums, no liveried announcer to introduce the protagonists.  No, like all great experiments it begins quietly.  Like Edison’s light bulb, Einstein’s theory of relativity, Dirac’s equation.... (Steady on).  Sorry.

I am so proud to have an Arsenal legend to launch this experiment.  Tim Stillman is one of the most knowledgeable Gooners out there.  He regularly writes for Vital Arsenal and has a weekly column for Arseblog.  Tim has been to more Arsenal games than Arsene Wenger, and if you even dream you know more about the Arsenal you better wake up and apologise....

ClockEnd5>  So Tim why support Arsenal?

Tim>  My family is a pretty even split between Spurs and Arsenal and I just chose The Arsenal. The reasons are probably quite vague in my 6 year old mind as to what made me make that choice. But I’d pinpoint the fact that, when I first started to kick the sponge ball around the playground, I played as a winger. At the time Arsenal had Merson, Limpar and the incomparable Rocastle and I think that’s what made my mind up. I have to be 100% truthful and say I thought about pledging my allegiance to Spurs simply because they had Gascoigne and I can’t pretend he wasn’t one of my footballing idols at the time. In fact, if I were a couple of years older and Spurs had had Waddle whilst Arsenal toiled in their uninspiring mid 80s sludge, it’s reasonable to assume I would have been a Spurs fan. Thankfully, Graham’s side was at its most exciting when I did come to choose. I recall my mum taking me to a sports shop in South London and asking me which shirt I wanted. Arsenal had that lovely “splodges” home kit design at the time and that totally sold me. Red against white is a very hypnotising colour scheme for a 6 year old.

CE5 > What’s your earliest Arsenal memory?

Tim > Aside from making that life altering choice in that Catford sports shop, my first memory was not a pleasant one. I assure you it’s totally by chance that I really began to take an interest in the results during the 1990-91 season. That sickening semi final defeat to Spurs at Wembley was the first time a result really felt significant to me. Arsenal had won most of their games that season, so I guess I thought this supporting lark was quite easy. It was a timely gut punch and I remember it making me feel physically sick. That Gascoigne twisted the knife somehow made it worse for me- a player I admired and whose performances in the 1990 World Cup are my very earliest football memories. The feeling I had when Spurs got their third goal that day made me realise I’d let myself in for something of a lifelong pursuit. It was a valuable lesson in humility though; it taught me that no matter how high your team flies, nobody is immune to that pain.

CE5 > What was your first Arsenal game?

Tim > It just so happens that it was 20 years ago this week that I made my first pilgrimage to Highbury. 22nd March, 1992 for a home match against Leeds- who went on to win the championship that year. That was a pretty handy Leeds team- McAllister, Cantona, Batty, Speed, Strachan. But we were defending champions and it was a tough game. Due to my excitement, I reckon my Mum and I got to the ground over 2 hours before kickoff because the gates in the West Stand hadn’t even opened by the time we arrived. It was the best induction though; walking into the stadium empty, the red seats set against white and that brilliant green pitch in front of it. Then to slowly watch it fill up was intoxicating. The match was drawn 1-1 and I learned another invaluable lesson. Arsenal flop Lee Chapman was playing upfront for Leeds and was booed throughout the match. So of course he scored the equaliser. But the experience changed me forever. The next season I got a season ticket and I’ve only missed a handful of home games ever since. It’s 12 and a half years and counting since I last missed one at time of writing.

CE5 > Who is your favourite Arsenal player, ever?

Tim > Unquestionably Anders Limpar. That’s not to say he’s the best Arsenal player I’ve ever seen. He isn’t. But he was my favourite player when I was 7 and your favourite player when you’re 7 is your favourite for life, isn’t it? As I alluded to earlier, I played on the wing as a kid and he just played with this swagger and verve. He wasn’t like your traditional ‘push and run’ English winger. He played entirely on instinct, yet was gloriously unselfish with it. I’m even attracted to the fact that his time at Arsenal fizzled out due to conflict with the manager. I’ve always maintained that fascination with figures that don’t outstay their welcome. It’s the same with me for music. Bands like The Stone Roses and the Sex Pistols. Guys that produce one classic album, then kind of burn out and leave as quickly as they burst onto the scene. There’s an old saying that the star that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Anders just had all the ingredients for me, both as a kid and now as an adult.

CE5 > So who is your favourite player out of the current lot?

Tim > I like to think I’ve kind of grown out of having favourite players nowadays, but I’ve really taken to Andre Santos. He just plays with such great joy; you can tell playing football means everything to him. I think a person’s personality can come through in the way they play and Santos strikes me as a humble character, yet one that is really full of joy.

CE5 > Your highest point as an Arsenal fan?

Tim > I’ve been incredibly fortunate. I was in Madrid 06, I was there for Jens’ penalty save in Villarreal, I was in Milan in 03 and 08 and White Hart Lane in 04. In terms of a period of time, I was at all 49 matches in that unbeaten run and I imagine that’s something I’ll tell my grandchildren about. Some of the football we played in that period was unreal. At the end of that run I remember Highbury singing “Have you ever seen football played like this?” That’s the pinnacle for any fan really isn’t it? But in terms of one isolated moment, being at Old Trafford in 2002 will only ever be topped for me when Arsenal have won the Champions League. The stars really aligned that night, it was just perfect and everybody knew we’d done something incredibly special. I really thought we’d go on to dominate English football for 6 or 7 years after that.

CE5 > And your lowest point?

Tim > There have been a few of these too. Bolton in 2003 was incredibly difficult to swallow. I had to go to a party at uni when I got home from that game. Ordinarily I try not to take results too seriously but I just sat in a corner alone and drank whiskey after whiskey, but I just couldn’t get drunk. But Zaragoza in 1995 takes the shitty biscuit here. Losing cup finals in the last minute is one thing (something we’ve experienced again recently), but to do so in that manner- to an ex Spurs player during such a woeful season was probably the lowest point the club has experienced during my time as a supporter. We’d had such an awful season with Merson and Graham’s problems and finishing a pitiful 12th place. The Cup Winners Cup was supposed to be our saviour for that year. To have it taken away like that was incredibly cruel. I wasn’t at the game, but I just remember steeling myself for penalties, feeling reasonably confident given Seaman’s exploits against Sampdoria in the semis. When the ball hit the net I was literally stunned for a good ten minutes. I didn’t say a word and when Zaragoza went to lift the trophy, I just got out of my chair and went up to bed.

CE5 > If you could sign any 3 players?

Tim > I never really speculate on this kind of thing. The only team I watch with any great regularity is Arsenal and I simply don’t watch enough football from other countries to pretend I have an informed opinion. I certainly think Arsenal needs at least one striker and one more creative player. It looks like Fabianski, Mannone and Almunia will all go this summer so an experienced number 2 will be needed too. It looks like the club are looking towards the Bundesliga and I certainly think that Germany now is looking a bit like France in the Clarefontaine days. I think that’s where Europe’s top young talent is going to come from for the next generation.

CE5 > OK get rid of 3 players?

Tim > Again, I don’t usually like to single players out, it’s too much of a Big Brother / X Factor style pantomime villain thing for me. I’d suggest a few high earning squad players will be trimmed this summer and hopefully we can replace them with a bit more value.

CE5 > Which is better, Highbury or the Emirates?

Tim > I loved Highbury, it was where I spent my formative years. But I’ll take the Emirates every time thanks. Much like when you’re asked if you prefer vinyl or MP3, I know the newest answer isn’t the trendy one, but I think there’s this tendency to romanticise the past and the folklore of Highbury has been part of that. We had a lot of great memories there and the classic architecture and compactness of the ground were very special. But I also recall it taking the entire half time break to squeeze through the concourses in the Clock End for a piss. Highbury was a classic ground but I think if we’re honest, it’d had its day. I think we should have moved 7-8 years earlier than we did if I’m honest. I also think there’s been some rose tinted reappraisal of the atmosphere. I think proportionately, there was just as much moaning, just as many early leavers and, post Taylor report, the atmosphere was no different to what we experience now. Every ground in England is pretty devoid of atmosphere nowadays, so I don’t pinpoint the move as the loss of some golden era of raucous chanting like some seem to. Perhaps we notice the grumbles now because there are simply more people inside. The current stadium is so much more user friendly and when it’s lit up at night, it looks so opulent. As does the pitch under the floodlights. I know that’s not the trendy answer, but I honestly think if we’d won a trophy or two since moving there, the voguish criticisms wouldn’t be anywhere near as pronounced. All the place needs is a few more memories. From a design point of view, it is utterly top notch.

Thank you Tim, one word, follow that!  If you want to follow Tim on Twitter he’s here @LittleDutchVA .
Stay tuned for the next instalment of what makes it Your Arsenal.








No comments:

Post a Comment