Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Akhil Vyas





The last interview of the season and it’s a cracker.  Akhil was one of the first Gooners I started to follow on Twitter and he has a top to bottom knowledge of the club that is unparalleled.  Regular viewers of the Fans Forum on Arsenal Player, will know him for his insightful contributions and he writes with the same intelligence and passion in his terrific blog Akhil from Hounslow.  So without further ado on with the questions.

Why Arsenal?

My mum grew up in North London so all her family supported Arsenal and had been going to Highbury for years and that influenced me.  My dad’s side also supported Arsenal so it was an easy decision.  My dad himself wasn’t much of a football fan but I made him sign me up as a junior gunner and he provided the finance for me to go to games until I was able to finance myself!

Earliest Arsenal memory?

It was based around Ian Wright.  I remember his wild celebrations and just his liveliness (if that is even a word!)  He was always buzzing and he was the type of player any child would love.  He really made me fall in love with Arsenal.

First game?

It must have been 1994 and it was against Coventry and it was a goalless draw! That didn’t put me off though!

Favourite player (all time)?

Patrick Vieira. Even though Ian Wright was a major influence on why I fell in love with Arsenal, it was Patrick Vieira that I loved the most! I loved his leadership and the way he wore his heart on his sleeve and defended the club on the pitch. His battles with Roy Keane etc and the way he defended Reyes against the whole of the Man Utd team in that tunnel at Highbury was just epic.  He drove games at times and took games and changed them. He was well supported by others but I think he was immense in the middle of midfield and a proper leader.

Favourite player (current)?

Laurent Koscielny and Bacary Sagna.  Of course Robin Van Persie this season has been great and I am a big admirer of Theo Walcott but LK6 (as I like to call him) and Bac have just grown and grown over the last year or two, especially LK6.  I saw his first game at the Emirates against Milan in the Emirates Cup and he was superb, I believed he would become a quality player and I think he is nearly there. Sagna is just solid and always reliable. One of the best right backs in the country and maybe even the world and there is never any transfer gossip because he remains loyal to us. If these two and Vermaelen can stay together then I think the three can contribute to a title winning team.

Highest point?

Has to be 2004, unbeaten, immortal, and played with flair and style. We had power and pace throughout our team and we were so strong. Even if we went behind, we believed we would win. It really was a special time and one we probably should have enjoyed more!

Lowest point?

Champions League final last 15 minutes! Broke my heart. Can’t even think about it now, it still hurts.

Sign any 3 players?

Ah, what a tough question. I really struggle with these sort of questions because a few years ago, id have said a DM but then Song (who is more than a DM) came in and has been fantastic this season so I like to leave it to the manager! I’d like a creative midfielder in though, a Gotze type player but he will cost a fair bit! I think we sometimes struggle for creativity against teams that play very deep. A player who can play DM and CB may be useful too because there is no real cover for Song at the moment. If Fabianksi goes then an experienced number two is also needed. I hope Yossi stays too.

Sack any 3 players?

I like to leave this to others too but it’s hard to see a big future for Chamakh or Park (if he was any good, surely he would have played by now!), of course Almunia is out of contract so will leave too.

Highbury or the Emirates?

Highbury for the special loving place it was but in the modern day (and when debts are paid off) the Emirates is the future. I wouldn’t like to pick one because they are both unique, so I have to sit on the fence here….AGAIN! Sorry!

Follow Akhil on Twitter here, @10Akhil.


No comments:

Post a Comment