Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jim Condon




Today we’re off to the Peoples Republic of Cork to chat with my old Twitter buddy Jim Condon.  Those of you that follow Jim will know him for his eclectic taste in music and his acerbic humour, particularly when he’s MBM’ing Match of the Day or Jools Holland.  Equally at home discussing the 4-4-2 or obscure American prog rock I knew he’d make a great interviewee for Your Arsenal and sure enough he didn’t disappoint.  Enjoy!

Why Arsenal?

Having arrived in Ireland in 1978 at the tender age of 13 from the USA I wanted to fit in with everyone else at school and so I had to pick a team. Instinctively, I knew Man United and Liverpool weren’t for me. A brief flirtation with Aston Villa followed before I (thankfully) opted for Arsenal. I am sure it was the large core of Irish players who were there at the time and the fact that they had reached the FA Cup Final that year as well.

Earliest Arsenal memory?

Possibly the lost cup final of 1978 but what really sticks in the mind is the “5 minute final” of 1979. I had an awful time at the dentist that day. My mouth was in bits, my gums stitched up and black, ichor-like blood was drooling from my mouth. This meant I had to watch the game lying on the opposite side to my wound but when Sunderland scored the winner I jumped up like a loon, sprayed the whole place with said horrible blood and promptly collapsed back onto the couch in shock! This was to establish pattern of me falling over at pivotal Arsenal moments through the years exactly none of which were ever again dentistry related!

First game?

As Ray said earlier, living in Ireland it is a bit tough to get to games regularly with the expense and travelling etc but my first game was a Champion’s League group game against Ajax at Highbury in Dec 2005. A 0-0 draw with both teams qualified so no high jinks but a very young Cesc Fabregas warmed up in front of us and waved up at us and the rare sight of Mart Poom as the sub keeper!

Favourite player (all time)?

A seriously tough question as, being the great club The Arsenal are, there have been so many but I will always go for Dennis Bergkamp. He was the catalyst for the success of the Wenger era I believe even though it was Bruce Rioch who bought him. A wonderful combination of a devilish edge touched with genius.

Favourite player (current)?

Obviously Robin Van Persie is attracting all the plaudits and rightly so but I really admire Bacary Sagna. A beast of a player. Very talented of course but when the need arises he can defend and put a boot through the ball…and the oppo too!

Highest point?

The win at Anfield in 1989. Watching those Scouse dicks have the soul knocked out of them and us winning the title on their patch. I watched it at home on TV and when Michael Thomas scored I jumped up, fell to my knees in the front room and tore the arse and both knees out of my jeans!

Lowest point?

Where else? The Champion’s League final. I watched the first half at work, left and we were 1-0 up. Got to the bar, ordered a drink and they equalised….poured the drink and they scored again. It was heartbreaking, I felt it was my fault!!

Sign any 3 players?

Vincent Kompany for defensive solidity alongside Vermaelen. Mesut Özil in midfield alongside Jack and Radamel Falcao from Atlético Madrid alongside RVP and Podolski. Goals there I’d say.

Sack any 3 players?

Almunia ,Chamakh and Squillaci. There’s three, and that didn’t take long to think of.

Highbury or the Emirates?

Highbury was a great spot and a fantastic ground for its time. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the club outgrew it and The Grove is a wonderful football stadium. I was there for the first proper game in July 2006 for Dennis Bergkamp’s testimonial against Ajax and it was a super day.

Told you it’d be good!  You can follow Jim on Twitter @calexico65 .


No comments:

Post a Comment