Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 21, 2012

Tom Acres



A busy week on here and we start with the inimitable Tom Acres.  I’ve been following Tom on Twitter for ages and he is one of the most intelligent and erudite Gooners out there.  Some of you may know him as part of the team that brought us the Optimistic Gooner podcasts but our great club, being what it is, has sucked all the optimism out of them and they’re now reincarnated as the Arsing Around podcast!  Nevertheless they continue to bring us all the latest news, gossip and opinion with the same intelligence and humour that is their forte.  Anyway enough out of me and on with the serious bit...

Why Arsenal?

My dad grew up pretty much down the road from Highbury and went to every home game, with his dad and his brother, so Arsenal has been rather rooted in the family. I just picked up from there really, even though my dad hadn’t been able to go to games as regularly since he got married I would probably have still been disowned if I had chosen another team! But even without the family ties I was quite easily attracted to Arsenal; the shirt, the stadium, Dennis Bergkamp, loved it all.

Earliest Arsenal memory?

Well I first remember getting into football properly for the 1998 World Cup, when I was 5, and my first Arsenal memory was Tony Adams lifting silverware at Wembley, I’m just not sure if it was the FA Cup or the Community Shield!

First game?

I know I was taken to a game when I was 5 or 6 but I can’t remember it off the top of my head, but the earliest game I have memory of going to was against Ipswich at Highbury in I think 2000, perhaps 2001. I distinctly recall Richard Wright playing against us and having a bit of a stormer, and I’m fairly sure Dennis Bergkamp scored. I think the final score was 2-0 Arsenal.

Favourite player (all time)?

It’s got to be Bergkamp; he was the name on the back of my first shirt and I loved the number 10, but even at a young age I could recognise what an awesome player he was. It’s difficult to single out one player considering I grew up during an era in which Arsenal were winning trophy after trophy and had so many quality players, but Bergkamp always stood out. Even though I often think I didn’t appreciate the great players as much as I should have when I look back now, I always remember stressing out about Bergkamp’s contract situation and quizzing my dad as to why we would only ever offer him a 1 year deal! Fantastic player, wish we could’ve seen him at the Emirates a bit more!

Favourite player (current)?

I try and avoid the obvious choices even though until last season it had been Fabregas. This season I would have to go with Laurent Koscielny and Mikel Arteta. I love Koscielny as a player, and part of the appeal I think comes from the fact that most neutrals, pundits and journalists still associate him with the Carling Cup gaffe and think he’s rubbish. He just goes about his defending so efficiently and effectively, and I think he’s probably the best defender at the club. Arteta has just held the midfield together this year, and again I think he’s unappreciated and undervalued by many. Keeps us ticking, seems like a real top bloke as well and has scored some cracking goals. Love the hair, too!

Highest point?

Although I don’t think I appreciated it or understood the significance of it as much as I should have at the time, I would have to go with the Invincibles. If I was picking an individual moment then things like Arshavin vs Barcelona, Sol in the Champions League Final, Lehmann’s penalty save in the semi-final and Henry’s solo goal against Spurs would be clear choices for me, but it’s difficult to imagine a higher point that Arsenal have been at since I’ve been following, them than an unbeaten title winning season!

Lowest point?

Champions League Final, by far. It is to this day the only time I’ve cried watching football, and also the only time I’ve seen my dad shed a tear full stop! There have been family bereavements and the Champions League Final remains the only time I’ve seen my dad cry. Once again I don’t think I appreciated the journey we went on to reach the final, but when we lost it I was gutted. Just thinking about it now, especially seeing as we’ve got nowhere near close to winning it since, makes me want to have a little cry to myself!

Sign any 3 players?

Tough one, if we’re talking fantasy football then you’d have to go with people like Messi and Ronaldo! Realistically speaking I think M’Vila seems like someone who would fit in really well, especially considering Song’s development into a more attacking player has contributed to our poor defensive record this season. I’m really happy with Podolski but wouldn’t begrudge another striker coming in, difficult to put a name on it, though. I love Shinji Kagawa and Mario Goetze at Dortmund, and do think we could’ve done with a better creative midfielder this season, but then I think that man is probably going to be Jack Wilshere!

Sack any 3 players?

It seems a bit pointless to list players that we all know will probably be going like Almunia, Denilson and Squillaci, but I suppose they’re obvious choices for a reason! We certainly have a lot of deadwood to clear out.

Highbury or the Emirates?

All the fantastic memories and trophies from when I was about 5 up until the age of 14 come from Highbury, but most of the games I’ve been to have been Emirates and Arsenal’s record when I’ve been there is pretty great! I think it’s a fantastic stadium, and it’s filling up every season with some great memories, we just need a trophy presentation or two for it to really feel like home. Emirates Cup doesn’t count!

Good stuff Tom and don’t forget you can follow him on Twitter @dartfordgooner or Arsing Around @ArsingAround.


No comments:

Post a Comment