Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 18, 2012

She Wore!




When I first started this experiment I had a short list of ideal participants (most of whom I got) that I ideally wanted to take part.  She Wore were one of the first names on that list.  While they can be occasionally controversial and you may not always agree with their forthright views, there’s no denying their in-depth knowledge of the history and ethos of our great club.  The She Wore website has news, opinion, a message board and great features like the A to Z of players linked to the club this summer.  Anyway enough of the hyperbole, let’s get down to it...

Why Arsenal?

No choice really, I come from a long line of Arsenal supporters, some of my Great-Grandparents were Arsenal fans and I have a few distant relatives that have played for the 1st team.

Earliest Arsenal memory?

Sadly it was watching the 1980 FA cup final at my Granddads house, I was 7 years old and the tears started when Trevor Brooking scored. My Granddad gave me a swift slap round the head called me a big girl. I've only ever cried twice since over The Arsenal.

First game?

It was 1985 and the 2nd leg of a League cup game, was no more than 20,000 in the ground as we were a few goals up from the away leg. Was pretty much one of the most boring games I have ever been to, but the sight and smell of Highbury as I walked up the stairs to the Northbank just had me hooked. It felt like I was instantly at home.

Favourite player (all time)?

Paul Merson was a shining light in a lot of George Graham’s sides, he could pull out a piece of magic and knew where the goal was. To me he was like one of us, he clearly had his demons with drink, drugs and gambling, but he was a working class lad with a lot of talent and enjoyed it, he always seemed to have a smile on his face. I can still tell you the pub I was in and who I was with the day the News of the World ran the article Wenger had sold him.

Favourite player (current)?

Chesney. Last year the Islington boys club hosted a boxing night at the Emirates, Vs an Irish select boxing team, Chesney was there signing autographs and standing for pictures all night and enjoying the boxing. At one point between rounds he jumps into the ring gets the round card and walked around. About 20mins later he climbs up again grabs the comperes microphone and starts up "Stand up if you hate Tottenh*m". He's one current player I look at and think to myself, yeah that lad really cares.

Highest point?

Anfield 89, still gutted out of the 2 games we played at Anfield that season I was at the other!  (although that was one mad night as well). We were originally due to play Liverpool over Easter and due to the mate I went away games with being away that Easter with his family we didn't get tickets and then when the game was rearranged we couldn't get any. I ended up watching the game indoors with my mother, who supplied me with a few cans of lager and that was the 2nd time I have ever cried over The Arsenal.

Lowest point?

Has to be that semi final in 1991, I was sat with my brother, we rarely sat/stood together, him and his mates liked it by the dugouts in the east lower and by then I was in the Clockend, that side deserved to win the double, they lost one league game all season (out of 42) and that was away to a very poor Chelsea side and let in just 18 league goals. Still don't know what happened to us that game and it still hurts!

Sign any 3 players?

Any? Messi, Ronaldo and Yaya Toure.
In real life, Baines, Cisse and M'villa.

Sack any 3 players?

Diaby, Almunia and Chamakh.

Highbury or the Emirates?

The Emirates is a great ground, comfy seats, nicer toilets, it’s the perfect football ground really, but it hasn’t and never will have that feeling I had every time I entered Highbury, it broke my heart when we left, that place was magical, I can still smell it and the last game was the third time The Arsenal has ever made me cry.

Told you it would be a bit special.  You can follow them on Twitter @SheWore or like them on Facebook here.


No comments:

Post a Comment